Callen-Lorde provides comprehensive and state-of-the-art HIV/AIDS care and support. Patients have a choice of providers and a range of services that are available under one roof. LGBTQ-friendly.
- Rapid HIV testing
- HIV Orientation at the first appointment new patients receive one on one education and support to answer any questions about medical treatment and needed services like insurance coverage, government benefits and housing.
- Primary medical care consists of comprehensive, quality medical care with experienced HIV specialist providers.
- Support groups: Please visit our Support Groups page for more information.
- Mental Health: Individual counseling, psychotherapy and annual psychosocial assessments with knowledgeable and sensitive mental health professionals.
Medication adherence counseling provides support and education about HIV infection, prescribed medications, and addressing any side effects.
- Care Coordination offers information, assistance and referrals regarding benefits and entitlements, including insurance, housing, and referrals to other supportive services.
- Sexual Health Counseling helps identify risks for HIV and other sexually transmitted infections and create an individualized risk reduction plan both to promote your health and minimize possible harm regardless of current HIV status.
- Referrals to Clinical Trials: Research programs that seek to improve treatment options for HIV infection.
For patients receiving medical care at Callen-Lorde, our Mental Health and Social Services Department offers individual and group counseling to support your emotional and physical well-being. Callen-Lorde is committed to providing services that are affirmative, sex-positive, culturally sensitive, consistent with risk reduction principles, and that promote patient self-determination.
Mental Health and Social Services offered include:
- Mental Health Consultation/Individual Counseling: Patients engaged in medical care at Callen-Lorde who have Medicaid, Medicare, Healthfirst, ADAP, Amidacare, or Metroplus insurance can receive short-term individualized counseling, or, receive a referral to another provider who may better meet your needs.
- Transgender Counseling and Education: The Transgender Counseling and Education session aims to offer specialized information and support to Callen-Lorde patients of transgender experience, including information and support on Hormone Therapy.
- Substance Use Assessment and Referral: If you have concerns about your drug, alcohol, sex and/or internet use, a counselor can connect you to the help you need. The service is flexible. Whether you are looking to reduce your use or completely stop, our counselor can offer you a range of referrals.
- Psychiatric Services: Our staff psychiatrists are primarily available for an initial evaluation visit and follow-up visits based on your needs. A referral to our psychiatrist is usually made by your medical or mental health provider if they and you think medication may help your mental health problems.
- Support Groups: We offer a range of groups providing support and counseling in a variety of areas. Our support groups are open to anyone who is a medical patient at Callen-Lorde, regardless of their insurance coverage.